Why you should switch from Autodesk maintenance to subscription
Autodesk is about to fundamentally change how it extends capabilities and delivers new functionality.
Beginning in June 2017, customers with existing eligible perpetual licenses on active maintenance can easily switch to a subscription model at the time of renewal for a significantly discounted price, and secure that rate for up to three years.
The price to switch to the subscription plan will increase 5 percent in 2018 and another 5 percent in 2019, making it more cost effective to switch at an earlier date.
Here are all the details you need to get the greatest value out of Autodesk’s new offerings:
Price increase on maintenance renewal plans
In addition to the discounts for switching to its subscription model, Autodesk has announced maintenance (perpetual plan) renewal prices are going up 5 percent this year (beginning May 7), 10 percent in 2018, and 20 percent in 2019. Autodesk wants customers to move from maintenance plans to a subscription.
To be clear, these changes will only affect customers with Autodesk products on active maintenance plans, not customers with licenses on subscription plans.
When a customer’s maintenance plan comes up for renewal, there are three options:
- Switch an eligible individual product on active maintenance to a subscription of the same product (such as AutoCAD maintenance plan to AutoCAD subscription)
- Switch an eligible individual product or suite on maintenance to an industry collection subscription (such as AutoCAD or Building Design Suite to AEC Collection subscription). Industry collections are a great way to access essential Autodesk software and services in one package, and they offer significant savings for organizations that need multiple software solutions.
- Renew your existing active maintenance plan for one year
Autodesk will continue to invest heavily in its subscription product offerings to provide customers with greater value through the following key benefits:
- Latest and greatest product capabilities: Get access to Autodesk’s ongoing stream of innovation, updates to its core products, cloud services for desktop products, and additional capabilities as soon as they’re available, at no additional cost.
- Access to new industry collections: They’re only available through subscription, and you’ll realize significant savings when you need two or more Autodesk software products.
- New and improved advanced support: Customers will enjoy faster response times and can receive a higher level of support by scheduling a call with Autodesk technical support specialists.
- Simplified administration: Access tools that streamline deployment and software.
Plan ahead and get help before making a choice
It will always be more financially advantageous for customers to switch to subscriptions rather than staying on maintenance. If customers accidentally forget to renew on time, they will have to pay the current full subscription price (not the discounted price provided through the switch plan) on a new subscription.
Based on these Autodesk changes, customers are encouraged to keep their maintenance plans active to qualify for the switch plan and its upcoming discount offer. After making the switch, organizations will be able to purchase additional subscription seats and co-term them to an existing single subscription contract and expiration date. An organization’s current license deployment type (single user/standalone or multi user/network) for its existing maintenance plan will follow the switch plan product they purchase.
To gain a better understanding of their current environment, customers should have a more in-depth conversation about these changes and how they will impact the way they buy new Autodesk software moving forward. Contact your dedicated SHI sales team today to develop a plan for your future Autodesk subscription license needs.
Autodesk is hosting a webinar on June 20 at 11 a.m. PDT to talk about the move toward a subscription-based model. Maria Orologas, Sr. Marketing Manager, Subscriber Success at Autodesk, will walk through the changes and respond to your questions in a live Q&A session. Register today!